Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Sydney Harbour

Last week I did my first supply work. I really enjoyed the staff and students at Monte. The grade 9 science curriculum seemed similar to ours in Canada. It had a unit on elements and the periodic table, reproduction and astronomy. However, there are some differences in the educational system here though ... maybe because they start secondary school in grade 7? … Avery is learning how to use the Bunsen burner in grade 7? and I was teaching the distributive property to a grade 8 math class… not something I would have taught until later in Canada. I find all of this interesting. The science department has lent me some resources … I can’t wait to learn more.

Avery had his school swim carnival. He faired well against the Aussie boys and came in 6th in his division for the breast stroke. Shown in the picture is him after the big race with his mate Craig. He needs to work on his freestyle though…?

On Saturday we were up at the crack of dawn to get on the subway into the big city of Sydney. Traveling on the subway in the city is the way to go. We did not even see any car parks (as they call it here) so I am glad we did not drive in. We headed for Circular Quay, (which I called qway all week and was corrected as que several times…Canadians?) where the famous Sydney harbour bridge and the Sydney opera house is. There are actually some crazy people in the photograph climbing on top of the bridge. I can see it in a my larger photo. For only about $190, … with a lot of guts … you can climb this too… if you come to visit. It only takes 3 hours… humm? What is the point anyway? You cannot take pictures as they won’t let you take anything up with you and you are wearing a coverall suit. I think I’ll pass on that one.

We went to Sydney for a boat ride cruising around the harbour. The ETL organized it for us. I seems like something every tourist seems to do here. We toured the Parrametta river and saw lots sail boats, interesting… and very expensive homes, and they pointed out museums and parks that we might want to come back to later on our stay.

There probably won’t be much interesting to write about next week. We do not have too much planned. Avery has some birthday parties. He has the social life here.
We will update you when we have some more pictures.

Ciao,
The Andress’